Monday, August 24, 2015

Mythos Machine on the Go

So there I was, huffing and puffing my way around town this morning doing my chores and shopping and stuff.  I stopped off to get some scrambled eggs, potatoes, toast and a cup of coffee.  And of course read the paper.  A story caught my eye.  And gave me a startlingly cool idea for the Yellow Stone Campaign... that frequently happens at the most inconvenient times when I'm on the go.  I used to, if possible, jot down the ideas on a piece of paper, and hope that I don't lose it in the grand shuffle that is my modern life.

Now, thanks to the Mythos Machine, I can use my Smart Phone to log into the application, quickly route over to my adventure, and add the idea right there at the coffee shop table.  No longer do I miss these opportunities to include great ideas in my world.  And once added, they stick.   Later when I get home I can modify and refine the concepts as I see fit.  But the important thing is that the notes get added right then, when I think of them.

The other nifty aspect of the Smart Phone use of the Mythos Machine is that my phone allows me to dictate into the Mythos Machine using speech recognition.   Of course there's the usual misspellings but when I get home I can tidy things up.  The important point is that my notes get entered into the centralized repository for my world when I think of them.   And that's actually a marvelous feature.

On the downside, and there must always be a downside, and I believe it's always good to mention the downside as a reminder that 1) nothing is perfect, and 2) there are things to work on for the sake of continuously improving the quality of the site ... the Mythos Machine is not currently configured for Responsive Design.  So the Smart Phone version, while perfectly functional, is not form factored for the phone's screen.  Thus, it does require some scrolling and zooming in at times.  But frankly, the ability to add my ideas to my world, create new creatures, weapons, armors or equipment, or anything else, on the fly while I'm on the go ... just makes the darn thing incredibly useful to me.

You are welcome to try it yourself for free by creating an Open Beta account at

http://elthos.com

... I look forward to hearing your feedback on it.  If you'd like to learn more about the Elthos RPG Mythos Machine before creating an account (understandably so) please read the FAQ here...

http://elthosrpg.blogspot.com/p/elthos-faq.html

Thanks and I look forward to hearing from you!

No comments: