Wednesday, August 24, 2011

GM Merit Badges Matrix

At the Literary Role Playing Game Society we have often discussed the fact that there are different Gamesmastering styles.  Recently I ran across The GM Merit Badges idea, which originated at Strange Magic Blog.  I think it is a brilliant set of icons to define different aspects of Gamesmastering, and I have divided them into two basic groups, Game Mechanics, and Story Orientations.  The Badges artwork is courtesy of Lorc (many thanks, nice job!).  To see the definitions of the GM Merit Badges please visit Strange Magic Blog.

Taking it just one step further, here is my take on the combinations of Story Orientations (across the top) vs. Game Mechanics, showing which ones I think go best with which.  Of course, I will be the first to point out that this is a rough guess, and certainly open to differences of opinion based on alternate interpretations of the meanings of the Badges.   However, it's probably a good initial stab at it, so here it goes.
  • Green = pretty good chance of success.
  • Yellow = success is possible, though not necessarily probable.
  • Red = success seems problematic.
  • Grey = who knows?
Story Orientation (top) vs Mechanics Aspects (left) Matrix




1 comment:

Gothridge Manor said...

I really dig this grid.